Gone are the days when website creation was a pain. In the past, website building was just in the wheelhouse of hardcore coders and web designers. Today, some of the best web design software tools have drag and drop features, requiring little or no coding experience.
You have access to numerous web design tools, but we’ll save you time looking for the right platform with our careful curation of 15+ of the best pieces of web design software.
In this review, we’ve rounded up the most up-to-date, intuitive, and highly recommended pieces of web design software available today — taking into consideration ease of use, the richness of features, and value for money.
We’ve divided our list into four main sections:
- Best online web design software – these online builders are web-based applications that require no installation.
- Best offline web design software – these platforms are standalone web editors that need to be installed first.
- Other essential tools for web design – these are not mandatory tools but are extremely useful for any web design-related tasks.
1. Wix (Free & Paid)
- With over 150 million users in 190 countries, Wix is one of the most popular tools for web designers both for desktop and mobile devices. Whatever level of technical or programming skill you have, its template editor is user-friendly and lets you build your site without having to learn how to code.
Pros of Using Wix
- A wide selection of pre-built designs. Whatever industry you’re in, you can choose a tailor-made theme for your site from over 600 designer-made Wix templates.
- Add animations easily. It’s one of the few web design builders that will enable you to animate text and other elements instantly.
- Access to a smart assistant. Artificial Design Intelligence (ADI) acts as your assistant to help you create your own website and web pages. For instance, it’ll automatically choose a perfect design for your target audience and connect your social media accounts.
Cons of Using Wix
- Impossible to switch template. Once your website is up and running, you’re not allowed to switch to another theme. This makes it more difficult to revamp your site’s design. You need to do this manually or start again from scratch.
- Significantly pricier than other web design tools. Wix pricing plans all remain more expensive than those of more popular competitors, such as Weebly and Squarespace.
Who Should Use Wix?
- It’s ideal for smaller-scale websites with no more than 30 pages.
- Wix is perfect for artists, photographers, and musicians who want to showcase their portfolios.
How Much is Wix?
Wix is available for free, but this has Wix ads and you will have to buy your own domain. If you want to have access to the professional features, the cheapest ad-free plan starts at $11/month.
2. WordPress (Free & Paid)
- WordPress is one of the leaders in the content management system industry, used by 33.6% of the top 10 million websites as of April 2019. It’s also one of the most well-known pieces of free web open-source software that allows you to launch any kind of website.
Pros of Using WordPress
- Complete control of your site. You own and control all your data — your website, your content, your data.
- Access to thousands of ready-made templates. With various free/premium WordPress themes to choose from, it’s now super-easy to customize your website.
- Access to 55k+ plugins. WordPress curates a huge collection of add-ons and plugins to extend your website for almost anything you need as your business grows.
- Easy third-party integrations. Because WordPress is a household brand, you can integrate almost all popular third-party tools, such as email marketing platforms, SEO (search engine optimization) tools, payment gateways, etc.
Cons of Using WordPress
- Responsible for managing essential site features. Because you’re in control of your site, you’re also responsible for managing your site’s security, creating backups and updates, and purchasing web-hosting services.
- No built-in drag and drop website builder. One disadvantage of using WordPress is that it doesn’t come with a built-in drag and drop interface. However, you can simply add any drag and drop extensions that will allow you to simply drag and drop items.
Who Should Use WordPress?
- It’s great for beginners who want to build a website and control the cost along the way.
- If you want to make money online, WordPress is highly recommended for online stores.
How Much is WordPress?
You can create a WordPress site for free but it will have limited functionality. Premium pricing starts at $96 a year ($8 a month, billed yearly).
3. Weebly (Free & Paid Version)
Now in its 12th year, Weebly has powered more than 50 million sites globally. This web design software is popular with online businesses and existing physical stores that want to build an online presence. It’s a fully hosted platform, which means both web hosting services and a domain name are already supported by Weebly.
Pros of Using Weebly
- Highly customizable and responsive templates. The themes are stylish and mobile-responsive. Weebly also allows you to switch themes.
- Helpful SEO guides. Weebly prioritizes SEO (search engine optimization) and has extensive help and support center. You can get practical tips and advice on coding, keyword optimization, and improving your site’s ranking.
Cons of Using Weebly
- No ADI option. Artificial Design Intelligence (ADI) is currently not available in Weebly. This feature uses information to automatically build a site for you, which saves you time. However, with Weebly, you need to create your own website manually.
- Limited drag and drop interface. Although it comes with drag and drop customization, it’s far from perfect. Unless you have advanced coding skills, it might be hard to customize your site with ease.
- No personal restore option. If your site goes down, you can’t restore it on your own. You always have to contact Weebly’s support team if this occurs.
Who Should Use Weebly?
- It’s great for people who are skilled in HTML or CSS. Weebly has a built-in code editor that allows you to personalize your site more extensively.
- Weebly is an ideal tool if you want to learn HTML. But remember that the learning curve will be steep.
How Much is Weebly?
You can build a website for free. But if you want to create a professional website, the pro plan starts at $12 per month.